Once I had the csv, I wrote a script that:
- creates a directory for each book and a markdown file;
- fetches the book info from google books;
- inserts some metadata about the books like pageCount, categories and tags;
- inserts the book description as the content of the post;
- fetches the cover (as a thumbnail);
- if I had a review of the book on Good Reads, the script adds it after the book’s description.
Here is the code:
What you need
You need to have
jq installed. Instructions are here.
If you are on macOS, it is
brew install jq.
For ubuntu, it is
sudo apt-get install jq.
How to run:
- The file name is hardcoded to
good-reads.csv. (I know that it should be an argument ;p). so rename your file to that and put it in the same directory as the script.
- You need to manually drop some columns. Only keep what you see on line 3. Also drop the first line (column headers)
If I ever need to run the script again, i’ll improve on those last two points.